Iowa Cost Share Programs

IFIP Cost Share (Iowa Financial Incentive Program)

Eligible Practices: Contour Stripcropping, Field Borders, Critical Area Planting, Filter Strips, Pasture & Hayland Planting, Grassed Waterway, Grade Stabilization Structure, Diversion, Terrace, Water & Sediment Control Basin


REAP (Resource Enhancement and Protection)

Eligible Practices: Animal Waste Management System, Restored or Constructed Wetlands in Buffer Systems, Bioengineering for Stabilization of Banks along Waterways, Grassed Waterways, Grade Stabilization Structure, Diversion, Terrace, Water and Sediment Control Basin, Tree Planting, Riparian Forest buffer, Planned Grazing System, Timber Stand Improvement, Conservation Cover, Farmstead Windbreak, Field Windbreak, Rescue Treatment, Site Prep for Natural Regeneration.

Stormwater Best Management Practices (SBMP) are also eligible for REAP, if you live in an approved designated watershed within your county.  These practices include, but are not limited to:  Soil Quality Restoration, Native Landscaping, Permeable Pavement and Rain Gardens.  Please call the office for more information. 

How do I apply for state cost share?
Application forms are available at the Linn Soil & Water Conservation District office, 891 62nd Street, Marion, IA 52302.  Name, address, phone number, social security number and location of the proposed project is the basic information required.

Am I eligible?
Only privately owned land used for agricultural production qualifies for IFIP and REAP funds.  Exceptions to this rule would include Windbreaks and Stormwater Best Management Practices.  Tracts of land used for ag production which are less than ten acres in size and from which less than $2500 of agricultural products are sold annually does not qualify for IFIP funds unless approved by the commissioners as part of a group project or as a continuation of an adjacent system.  Units of government are not eligible for cost share programs.

How long must I maintain my cost share practice?

A maintenance/performance agreement is required as a condition for the receipt of financial incentive funds for temporary and permanent soil and water conservation practices.

Temporary practices require a maintenance/performance agreement of 5 years. The agreement requires repayment if the practice is not suitably performed and maintained for five years. Permanent practices have a maintenance/performance agreement of 20 years stating that the recipient will maintain, repair, or reconstruct the permanent practices if they are not maintained.  Grassed Waterways and Pasture & Hayland Planting are the exception with a maintenance/performance agreement of 10 years.

Stormwater Best Management Practices requires a 5 to 10 year maintenance agreement, depending on the practice.  Please inquire at the office at the time of application. 

What are my responsibilities?
Responsibility for Conservation Work is an agreement developed by the Linn SWCD and signed by the applicant that explains the responsibilities of the applicant, contractor and the district staff. You may request a copy from the Linn SWCD.

USDA Cost Share Programs

EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentive Program)

EQIP is a USDA conservation cost-share program designed to encourage and support conservation of natural resources on private lands on a voluntary basis. Funds are used primarily to treat resource concerns related to livestock production, reduce soil erosion and improve water quality.

Practices include but are not limited to: Grassed Waterways, Manure Management Facilities, Terracing, Pest Management, Ag Drainage Well Protection, Pasture Management, Tree Planting, Windbreaks, Stripcropping, Conservation Tillage, Organic Crop Production, Wildlife Habitat

How do I apply?
For more information or to apply, contact the USDA Service Center, 891 62nd Street, Marion, IA

How long must I maintain my practice(s)?

Practice maintenance can range from 5 to 20 years depending on the scope of the project.


The USDA’s Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program helps landowners enhance, protect and develop wildlife habitat on their property. Through WHIP, the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) works with landowners to develop wildlife habitat plans and provides cost-share for implementing wildlife habitat management practices.

Eligible Practices can include: Brush Management, Forest Stand Improvement, Prescribed Burning, Tree and Shrub Establishment, Upland Wildlife Habitat Management, Fencing for Livestock Exclusion, Conservation Cover, Critical Area Planting, Streambank and Shoreline Protection, Wetland Restoration and Enhancement

How do I apply?
WHIP is open under a continuous signup. To apply visit the NRCS office at 891 62nd Street, Marion, IA.

How long must I maintain my practice?
Contracts last between 5 and 10 years depending upon the practices installed and are limited to $25,000.

CRP (Conservation Reserve Program)

The Conservation Reserve Program is the federal government’s single largest environmental improvement program and one of its most productive and cost-efficient. It is administered by the U.S, Department of Agriculture’s Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) through the Farm Service Agency (FSA).

Continuous Signup
Practices: Field Windbreak, Waterway, Shallow Water Area, Contour Buffers, Shelterbelt, Living Snow Fence, Filter Strip, Riparian Buffer Strip, Wind Strips, Riparian Buffer Strip on Marginal Pasture, Wellhead Protection

How do I apply?
Contact the NRCS office to determine if the acreage in question is eligible and suitable for one of the above practices. The FSA office will answer your questions concerning ownership and cropping history requirements, cost share rates and rental rates. They will also assist you with the completion of the contract. Both NRCS and FSA are located at the USDA Service Center , 891 62nd Street, Marion, IA.

How long must I maintain the practice?
Farmers must enter into contracts with the CCC lasting between 10 and 15 years. In return, they receive annual rental payments, incentive payments for certain activities, and cost-share assistance to establish the protective vegetation.

General Signup
To learn more about the Conservation Reserve Program General Signup contact the Farm Service Agency at 891 62nd Street, Marion, IA.