Search
Resources

History of Conservation Districts in Iowa

In 1937, as the Dust Bowl focused attention on soil erosion, President Roosevelt sent a model law to governors recommending legislation that would allow landowners to form voluntary soil conservation districts. It was recognized then, as now, that local, voluntary efforts are most effective in getting conservation practices established on the land. The legislation was adopted by Iowa's legislature in 1939 and the first conservation district was formed in three Marion County townships in April 1940. By 1952, all of the land in Iowa was served by Conservation Districts.